Saturday, May 11, 2013

First Leg: Ottawa to Detroit

I took over the driving in Cambridge, Ontario, after a rushed bite and two to-go hot teas. A pink sunset with Peter reading to me, then the clouds broke and full drops hammered the windshield, echoing through the rickety cab. I flicked the new wipers on high and wound the truck through dreary Southern Ontario, taking sips of tea in satisfaction for the successful passing of spraying transports. Our 1996 Ford Ranger bounced and shuddered with wind and highway divits. Molly Doxle put her head in my lap. I blasted Shania Twain and mumbled to myself how I should have taken the earlier driving shift.

Peter was driving again when we hit the Ambassador Bridge (currently spelled 'bassador' on account of some burnt out lights) from Windsor to the US border. Peter reminded me how terrible would be a repacking process if our border officer decided to search us. Marked with white and class privilege, we squeezed through with all of our worldly possessions after about three yes/no questions and advice that we should say Hail Marys to avoid being ticketed for our bike rack covering our back licence plate. The officer requested nothing of me, nor did he even pay me eye contact. Molly wasn't questioned either.

The highway expanded in front of us and larger, older vehicles sped by as I squinted at a map, using a smartphone to replace the broken interior light of the truck. Having no direction but needing rest, we headed west on an interstate until I predicted a hotel district near intersecting highways and a suburban hospital. After two unsuccessful turn-offs, we took exit 170 from the 275N and, sure enough, emerged in a hotel park reminiscent of Anaheim.

After inquiring for availability at three inns, we couldn't find room for our donkey (Molly) so we stayed put at the last hotel of inquiry and left Molly in the truck with a handful of kibble, two stuffed animals, her sock toy, and, well, everything else that we own. The sunrise comes quickly and we're due at a family brunch in Chicago. May Molly guard well the Panda Express.




No comments:

Post a Comment