Wednesday, March 9, 2011

cheerios and wine together taste fine

Feeling emotionally hungover after numerous March 8th festivities (complete with backlash from men and women, pictures of destroyed fetuses outside of two events and a series of soul-depleting statistics on the global statuses of women and girls), I spent the day of March 9th buried in work trying to fix the situation (eye roll).

This morning, I lectured on feminist contributions to sociology. Nobody egged me: success. I spent the next four hours gulping espresso, paddling through the literature on the post-war history of Canadian women in higher education in preparation for a meeting with my dissertation supervisor. Filled with "the more I know, the I KNOW NOTHING!!" sensation, I confidently held office hours and tried to explain to an overwhelmed undergraduate student why "trying to figure out how to stop youth crime" is too huge a topic for a five page assignment. Then I had my dissertation meeting. Then I walked home. Wait. Bought a bottle of wine. Then I walked home.

Feelin' the stress, I wolfed week-old cold biryani out of a take-out carton from the back of my fridge while chatting with my roommate, Mark, about Aeroplan miles and hydraulics. That's when I hit my new low: I poured myself a 'glass' of wine... into... a Tupperware container... of Cheerios.

I don't know how this happened. First off, the Tupperware housed the Cheerios because the container was on the counter when I had the box in my hand and I was too lazy (read: hysterical) to take a bowl out of the cupboard. Halfway through making my cereal dessert (which was also my breakfast this morning), I think wine must have become my priority, hence Cabernet Cheerios. Cheerios Franc.

Admittedly, this is a self-indulgent post, but it's just to come out with the fact that studying and promoting and critiquing and defending feminism and women's issues can be maddening. As we witnessed yesterday, these are exciting and privileged times, but they are defined by a state of conflict in which you are usually on the defense. Big shout out to IWS colleagues today, and grad students everywhere! Hope to see you all at the 12-hour Equal Voice (Promoting the Election of Women in Canada!) symposium tomorrow.... :S


4 comments:

  1. last term i sprinkled pepper on my french toast instead of cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  2. that must have been so disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is often how my cereal ends up in the fridge and how I make beautiful tea to go and leave it on my counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever put ice cream bars in your closet? Mmmhmmm....

    ReplyDelete