Saturday, March 5, 2011

represent!

This morning, I attended a brilliant symposium with two of my colleagues called Kknnoowwiinngg Bbooddiieess: Bodies of Knowledge. All of this embodied stimulation makes me want a career change into media and representation studies (good thing nobody knows what women's studies is... so maybe I can be tricky and work in disguise). The speakers looked at the representation of bodies (all kinds, including pregnant and embryonic ones), language, voice and monsters (mostly zombies). Cool!

I think that critique of representation gets a bad rap in mainstream culture. I remember last year at this time when the CBC published an article about reviewing the lyrics to "O Canada" for gender neutrality, the general public was up in arms with reactions like "Damn picky feminists can't just leave things alone," and "What difference do words make?" These comments, by the way, were the more tame on the CBC public comment boards. Other telling themes emerged like "changing the words would make the anthem inauthentic" and "we don't need to worry about gender neutrality anymore because women have achieved equality with men."


Is it just me, or do people seem far too comfortable living with representations that don't represent them? I'd even go so far as to suggest that people seem uncomfortable discussing representations as representative (it could be read as disinterest, but I think it goes deeper than that). I often field comments to the tune of "can't you just enjoy... [a children's movie; a joke about women; commentary on stereotypes]?" Sure, I enjoy lots of problematic things, but I also want to be aware of what and who are being represented and by whom so that I might challenge some sketchy assumptions.

Representations surround us and determine how we interpret and come to understand the world. Thinking about representation reveals hints at assumptions, claims, cultural beliefs... even political undercurrents that creepily reveal the erosion of our democracy -- check out the PMO release rebranding of The Government of Canada as the Harper Government for a gross example. 

On the topic, check out the Newsom film Miss Representation about the under-rep of women in power in the US. Strong case against "can't feminists just leave things alone" and "equality is here."

2 comments:

  1. Paradoxically, it is girls and not boys who have the advantage in elementary and high school. Girls are far more engaged and successful in their subjects. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Obviously this is a heated debate and as engaged as I am by discussions of socialization and pedagogy, I can't help but think back to your comment about watching young girls and boys play...

    This may sound simplistic and I might be way off, but I think the disengagement of boys in grade school must be affected by kids getting less exercise. Kids are inside playing on computers and gaming systems, kids live in urban neighbourhoods that are traffic heavy and therefore deemed less safe for bombing around on bikes and exploring... and based on my observations of really young boys and girls playing, boys seem endowed with a reckless energy that requires release. I know I stumble into essentialist territory with this opinion, but elementary teachers everywhere are remarking that as recess approaches, the male students are practically wiggling out of their seats.

    I'll try to find an article from Australia I read recently about debunking the "poor boys" argument. The author looked at failure rates and causes for failing. She showed that one reason boys fall behind is because they are being disciplined for misbehaving. Is it a stretch to say that pent-up energy might be to blame? I don't think school has become more feminized (contrary to mainstream media discourse). I do think that video games and obesity have a lot to tell us about the behaviour of kids, and it just so happens that these rates are higher in boys.

    ReplyDelete