Sunday, May 29, 2011

Racy Weekend

This morning I woke up to a gently throbbing temple and the sounds of cheering, live band and rain. Ottawa race weekend! Grabbed a coffee and a muffin and clapped for the athletes until my hands were puffy. Note: being on the sidelines of a marathon when you're hungover feels shameful, as does feeling the urge to complain that your hands are getting puffy. 

I have mixed feelings about whether or not I should ever attempt the marathon, but one thing is for sure; watching the race fills me with inspiration. At the risk of reproducing 'supercrip' narratives (a la Eli Clare), it moves me to see people of various physical and mental capacities giving all of their energy and celebrating the power of their bodies and minds. It's a big day!

Mush alert - as runners flashed smiles in thanks for our shouting, I felt the love of the human spirit rush all over us. I hope to carry this sentiment through to my reading of current events this week. Off to soccer in this summer storm to make some fitness magic of my own!



No comments:

Post a Comment