Friday, August 19, 2011

love talk

Though feeling like I may rather fall asleep forever than go out tonight, I wandered down the canal in great company and had one of my best evenings in Ottawa.


It started in a park with people of disparate backgrounds who seemed to understand something in common about each other. A sense of ungroundedness? Belonging to a network of people searching for je ne sais quoi? Adult restlessness? Whatever the similarity of mind, we seemed on a wave length.


I parted for downtown to meet a friend for mojitos. The night ended with a conversation about love, wherein my brilliant male friend suggested each of our subjective understandings of love are conceptualized using two components: education (socialization) and experiential knowledge. Seems simple enough, but profoundly helps me appreciate confusedly competing definitions of love. To simplify, he beautifully described regret at his most important romantic relationship ending because nobody was there to tell him (educate him) that it would be okay.


Love talk including scarf metaphor on a warm patio evening had my soul sailing into faith and hope without reprieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment